Printable Impact Statement PDF June25 2015

Impact Statement JPEG June 25 2015













Is the shelter named The Humane Society of Lackawanna County or Griffin Pond Animal Shelter?

The Griffin Pond Animal shelter was established as the Humane Society of Lackawanna County in 1938 to provide shelter for homeless, unwanted, and abused animals. Originally located near the Nay Aug Park, the shelter relocated in 1983 to its current location at 967 Griffin Pond Rd, South Abington Twp, PA 18411.

Presently, the shelter is referred to as the Humane Society of Lackawanna County and d/b/a Griffin Pond Animal Shelter. Our organization is in the process of changing its legal name to Griffin Pond Animal Shelter. One of the main reasons why we changed the name of the shelter is to help correct the presumption that we are run by Lackawanna County or the Humane Society of the United States or receive money from either of these entities.

  • The shelter is not associated or funded by any regional or national group such as the Humane Society of the United States.
  • Griffin Pond Animal Shelter does not receive any financial assistance from the Federal, State or County Government.


How can I donate

Donations can me made online on our Donate page. Checks may be handed in at the shelter or mailed to the shelter address:

  • 967 Griffin Pond Rd
    South Abington Twp, PA 18411


Why are you closed Tuesdays

We are closed to the public on Tuesdays to all the shelter one day a week to catch up on necessary grounds keeping and other tasks without interruption.


Is Griffin Pond a “no-kill” shelter?

Griffin Pond Animal Shelter accommodates almost every animal that arrives at our door, including animals brought in from law enforcement and dog wardens.  Shelters can be only be “no-kill” through limiting the number of animals they intake by turning animals away, charging higher intake fees and not accepting strays from the community.  Being the only shelter in Lackawanna County,  Griffin Pond Animal Shelter is often the only option for many surrendered or stray animals because when local animal rescues are filled, they turn people away.

Though we make every effort to find forever homes for the animals in our care, sometimes it is more humane to euthanize an animal who is suffering from severe, untreatable illnesses or injuries. In addition to our Adoption Program, we have a Veterinary Care Fund for seriously ill or injured animals in the shelter.  We utilize a network of fosters to take in and care for animals, and we work with registered 501(c)(3) non-profit rescue groups with expertise specific to breeds, training or other needs associated with certain animals.  We also offer low-cost spay/neuter certificates for a low cost alternative to help reduce the number of animals and strays in the community.

Anyone who is interested in purchasing spay/neuter certificates, should stop at the shelter or call 570-586-3700 for more information.  Pricing varies on the type of animal as well as the sex of the animal.  Not all area veterinarians accept the  low cost certificates, so please make sure you check with your preferred vet so you are prepared prior to scheduling a spay or neutering procedure for you pet.


What is the adoption process?

Many animals get a new leash on life because of our Adoption Program. Potential adopters must comply with our adoption policy:

  1. must be 21 years old or over;
  2. fill out an application;
  3. have a current driver’s license or state ID;
  4. provide your landlord’s phone number or have proof of home ownership;
  5. have veterinarian information if you currently have pets;
  6. provide three references; upon approval.
  7. sign an adoption contract;
  8. and pay an adoption fee.

If you currently have pets, a “meet and greet” will be scheduled.

The adoption fee includes spay/neuter certificate, microchip, and vaccination. State law requires all adopted animals be spayed/neutered.


I’m moving and can’t keep my pet. Can I bring it to the shelter for adoption?

Please make every effort to keep your pet or find it a new home with a friend, family, neighbor or co-worker before surrendering it to the shelter.

Pet owners surrendering their animals must call 570-586-3700 to schedule an appointment and are asked to provide vet records or your veterinarian information.

Griffin Pond Animal Shelter accepts animals from residents of Lackawanna and Wyoming Counties, between the hours of 9:00 am and noon, 6 days a week — closed Tuesdays. A valid driver’s license or state ID is required when surrendering any animal to the shelter and a $10 minimum donation per animal is required.


My pet is lost, what should I do?

If your pet is missing, call the shelter at 570-586-3700, and your local police as soon as possible. The shelter keeps lost and found animal reports, and a staff member will take a thorough description of your pet and information on when and where they were lost.

Also, visit the shelter and ask a staff member to escort you through our stray section to help determine if your lost pet is here. Bring a photo of your pet; your description of your pet may differ from the shelter’s interpretation, making it challenging to match an owner with a lost pet.

Check out our lost and found pets resource page:   http://www.griffinpondanimalshelter.com/lost-found/


I have to put my pet to sleep; can I bring it to the shelter for euthanasia?

At Griffin Pond Animal Shelter, we understand that your pet is a beloved member of your family. Euthanasia requests are compassionately reviewed on an individual basis.

Before coming to the shelter, please see your veterinarian to discuss your pet’s health, quality of life and options. To guide you in making your decision, you can ask your veterinarian some of the following questions:

  •  Is my pet suffering?
  • What kind of treatment is available? What would the cost be?
  • What might treatment accomplish? Can I expect a cure, alleviation of pain or prolonged life?
  • What kind of care will I need to provide at home?
  • How much longer can I expect my pet to live?
  • What is my pet’s quality of life?


Does the shelter have a veterinary clinic?

Griffin Pond Animal Shelter does not have a veterinary clinic available to the public. We provide care only for the animals in the shelter.

  • There are many excellent veterinarians in the area. Ask your neighbors, co-workers, relatives or friends for a recommendation.
  • We do offer low-cost spay/neuter certificates that are accepted by some local veterinarians.


How long do you keep animals at your shelter?

We have no time limit for how long an animal can stay at our shelter. As long as an animal remains in good health and a sound temperament, we will keep a pet until it is adopted.


How many animals do you care for?

Griffin Pond Animal Shelter currently cares for approximately 250-300 animals each and every day.


What kind of animals do you care for?

Griffin Pond Animal Shelter cares for as many animals as we are able to. We take in dogs, cats, rabbits, and other small animals to be available for adoption.. Occasionally, we will get a turtle or other reptiles or even some birds. When we recieve wild life, farm animals or exotic animals we will work closely with rescues, conservatories, and wild life groups to be sure that they get the best care they can.


There are stray pets in my neighborhood. Can you come pick them up?

No. Griffin Pond Animal Shelter cannot come out and pick up stray animals. Therefor, if there is a stray animal in your neighborhood, you can contact either local law enforcement and/or animal control (if your muncipality has it).  The State Dog Wardens are responsible to pick up stray dogs (aka “at large”).  Please refer to the informative PA Dog Law Enforcement web site for more information including the dog warden contacts list by county.



Do you board animals?

 No, Griffin Pond Animal Shelter is not a boarding facility. We shelter and care for needy animals who are looking for new homes.


How old do you have to be to volunteer?

Volunteers who wish to handle animals must be 18 years of age due to liability insurance restrictions.

If you are not old enough (under 18 years old) or physically able to handle animals, you can still help Griffin Pond Animal Shelter  in many other ways!  Consider one of the following ways to make a difference!

  • Host a fundraising event or start a donation drive
  • Volunteer to help at one of our fundraising events
  • Clerical and office work
  • Grounds Keeping and Maintenance


I am interested in Volunteering what do I do?

Volunteers are always welcome! Complete and return the form below:

 Volunteer-Community Service Request Form


How can I help Griffin Pond Animal Shelter and the animals in their care?

  1. Adopt your next best friend
  2. Spay and Neuter Your Pet
  3. Donate  Donate page
  4. Volunteer
  5. Walk Dogs
  6. Clerical Help
  7. Grounds Keeping
  8. School Projects
  9. Organize a Group Project, Supply Donation Drive or Fundraiser



We love when our supporters come to us with fundraising ideas. Please remember – you must obtain permission from shelter director for the use of our organization name, logo or likeness prior to promoting your event. 


  • Organize a Fundraiser

Complete and return the Fundraising Proposal Form.

Fundraising Event Proposal

  • Sponsor a Fundraiser

Griffin Pond Animal Shelter is a registered 501(c)3 charitable organization, so your sponsorship may be used as a tax write off.

For information on availability to sponsor an upcoming event, contact the Development-Fundraising Manager at 570-585-0514 

♦ EIN: 24-0831491

♦ID: 4615

  • Attend a Fundraiser

Check out our Calendar of Events   http://www.griffinpondanimalshelter.com/events/


What does Griffin Pond Animal Shelter do to prevent animal cruelty and neglect?

 We work diligently to educate animal owners about the law and proper animal care.


What should I do if I suspect animal cruelty or neglect?

If you witness animal cruelty in Lackawanna County, you should contact us immediately to report the situation to Humane Officer Sandy Scala, so that we can investigate.

Humane Officer Sandy Scala:

If you would like to report animal cruelty occurring outside of Lackawanna County, please call your local animal shelter (ask for the Humane Officer); or call your local law enforcement.

In cases of emergency, or if the act is violent/criminal you should immediately report it to your local law enforcement.